IRS Can Help Taxpayers Get Form W-2

Haven’t received your W-2(s) yet?  Most taxpayers got their W-2s by the end of January.  If you haven’t received your W-2(s) by the end of February, the IRS suggests taking the following actions:

  1. Contact Your Employer – Ask your current or former employer for a copy of your W-2.  Be sure the employer has the correct address.
  2. Call the IRS – If you are unable to get a copy from your employer by the end of February, you may call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for a substitute W-2.  The IRS will send a letter to the employer on taxpayers’ behalf. When calling the IRS, you will need the following:
    • Name, address, Social Security number and phone number
    • Employer’s name, address and phone number
    • Employment dates
    • Estimate of wages and federal income tax withheld in 2017. Use a final pay stub for these amounts.
  3. File your 2017 tax return on time – File your return by April 17, 2018.  If you have not received your W-2, use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2.  Estimate your wages and taxes withheld as best as possible. To request more time to file, you can request an extra six months using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File.  Remember – this is not an extension to pay any taxes due; it is only an extension of time to file.


Adapted from IRS Tax Tip 2018-30.  To see the original IRS tip article, please visit:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s